Saturday, December 20, 2008

Leucadia wildlife.

El Skunko.
He's getting pissed!
Cooper's Hawk.

Leucadia Reindeer.

Our street has been pretty stinky lately, with a gang of skunks marauding around the 'hood.  Finn and I were eating breakfast at about 5:00 am when we heard some kind of ruckus outside.  Looking closer, we saw 2 skunks in the driveway. One had its head stuck between 2 slats on our gate, apparently oblivious that he had just dug a huge hole under the gate the previous night.  His buddy was freaking out and running around in circles in our driveway.  I went out (in my boxers) to see if I could free the stuck dude, when the panicked one charged me and ran up the kitchen deck.  Finally...Mr. Smartypants somehow removed his noggin from the gate and both skunks ran under the hole through our yard to the neighbor's, while leaving a yummy musky scent in the area where the action took place. Thanks skunks.

We also have a Cooper's Hawk that has been sizing up the baby and Jake.  He picks off Mourning Doves in the avocado tree and de-feathers and eviscerates them in our yard.  What a freakshow.

No comments: